IYSA Presents our Coach of the Month
John Wind Jr.
What team/teams do your currently coach?
- 2004G Idaho Rush Premier, and 2007B Idaho Rush White
What coaching licenses do you have? What is your coaching experience?
- I currently have my National D, and I am enrolled to take the National C course. I have been coaching for nearly 15 years. Chicago Magic, Arsenal (CA-S), So.Cal Blues, Idaho Rush, and Idaho ODP
What experience do you have as a player?
- I grew up with a soccer ball at my feet and spent my youth playing in Cal- South. I played 4 years at Trinity Christian in Chicago, IL and had a brief stint with Chicago Fire Reserves (PDL) in the spring/summer of 2003
What is your most memorable soccer experience as a coach?
-The thing I enjoy most is witnessing players growth both on and off the soccer field, but as far as a memorable experiences, I would have to say winning State Cup with my 04 girls group last year, and coaching in the USYS National Championships with So. Cal Blues in Frisco,TX a couple years ago. The environment for the National title game was so electric since we played against a local team Solar SC (TX) in the final. It truly provided the players with an unforgettable setting even though we came up short in overtime.
What is your favorite team(s)/player(s)?
- Arsenal, USA, and Netherlands (I know…..2017 was not a good year for my favorite teams) favorite player(s) Zidane, Edgar Davids, and Carlos Puyol.
Who is your mentor/hero and why?
- I have been blessed with wonderful mentors on and off the field. My Grandpa and Dad are the easy answers, but how I learned to apply the tools they had given me, I would have to say the late Danjuma Bolus. Danjuma was a Nigerian national who attended college with me in Chicago, he was too old to play with us, but he was our team chaplain my Soph and Junior year of college. Danjuma is a big figure in my testimony of life, he challenged me to apply my leadership qualities off the soccer field as much as I did on it. He helped me realize that before applying them into mentorship off the field I needed to possess the same confidence in my life’s journey as I did on the soccer field. He initiated a come to Jesus moment in my life in a time it was needed, and for that I will forever be grateful.
What is your favorite quote?
-“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” Matthew 6:21
Tell us a random fun fact about you.
-I grew up on a Dairy Farm that literally had a big soccer field right in the middle it, and today I am a 6th Generation Dairyman looking to do the same soon.