IYSA Presents our Coach of the Month
What team/teams do your currently coach?
- As a director I help with all age groups. Teams that I am coaching this season are U10 girls, U14 girls, U12 Boys, U11 Boys and 2003 Girls ODP.
What coaching licenses do you have? What is your coaching experience?
- USSF B, NSCAA Premier, NSCAA Advanced Director of Coaching, National Youth. I have coached College to 4 year olds.
What experience do you have as a player?
-Club and college club
What is your most memorable soccer experience as a coach?
- Not just one. Every accomplishment or milestone you reach with a team or individual player is memorable.
What is your favorite team(s)/player(s)?
Who is your mentor/hero and why?
- I am inspired by many people each and every day. The people I work with, the kids, parents and organizations that work hard to make something the best that it can be. They inspire me every day to be better than yesterday....There was a time when I was a young player that I wanted to quit soccer in the middle of the season. My dad said "If I quit now i'll always be a quitter". I didn't quit.........A child hood friend and teammate Mundo Portillo, introduced me to coaching. He is wise beyond his years and one of the mentally toughest people I have ever know. No one had ever challenged me the way he did. I am eternally grateful for it..........Anson Dorrance through his books and coaching education with the NSCAA. Studying him and studying what he has studied helped me to be a true student of life. He taught me that knowledge, learning and implementation of what I have learned is key to success.
What is your favorite quote?
- I don't remember what I was reading. Just simply "Be prepared to take advantage of opportunity".
Tell us a random fun fact about you. (Ex: I can sing the alphabet backwards)
-I am a big Star Wars fan.
IYSA Coach of the Month Archives